When Should A Woman Pay For A Date?
Time passes quickly, old stereotypes change, and a new morality of equal relations develops.
The epoch of knights and knightly tournaments are in the past. Noble ladies are not locked in the top of the castle’s tower, waiting for a brave hero to save them. Things are totally different nowadays. Ladies are ready to conquer this world themselves. So, when should a woman pay for a date?
Social movements of the XX century gave freedom to women. They strive to be on an equal level with the opposite sex. Now there are women in business, politics, science, art and sport.
The life of a modern woman does not spin only around her household, kids, and husband. She has the right to choose whom to love and how to live. Women can also ask guys for dates, give them gifts, treat them to coffee, etc.
While we’re on the topic of dating let’s throw out all the stereotypes and figure out should a woman offer to pay on a date?
The situation seems quite nice, until you dig deeper. The independence of women caused a lot of confusion for men. Very often men do not know how to behave properly in the presence of a strong woman so not to hurt her feminist ideals. After all, as we said before – the culture of strong and independent women continues to grow rapidly. When you open a door of the car for a lady, one girl may be excited at your chivalry, while the other may get angry with you.
If you invite a pretty stranger for a date, you may be puzzled with the question “should women pay for dates?”. Well, such a question is tough to answer. Sometimes they should and sometimes they shouldn’t. It all depends on the situation and your relationships.
But where is that thin line between being attentive to her philosophy and not being a greedy man in her eyes? Don’t worry! This article will help you figure the things out and decide why should the girl pay for the date?
Related Reading: How To Make A Hotel Room Romantic?
When Should A Woman Offer To Pay For A Date?
Traditionally, it has been expected that the man should pay for the date, but in the modern world, this is not always the case. There are no gender stereotypes in today’s world. And in fact the question who should pay for dates in a relationship is very easy to solve.
First of all, you have to define at what stage of relations you are with the girl at the moment as the rules may differ. If the couple is married or in a committed relationship, it is likely best for them to split the bill or take turns paying.On the other hand, if the couple is just getting to know each other, it is probably best for the man to pay for the date, because it is considered acceptable for a guy to give the impression of a gentleman. Some men ask themselves the question that if they asked a girl for a dating, should a girl pay for half the date?
According to polling statistics, 78% of people said men should pay on the first date.
You can also evaluate the “Should the girl pay on the first date?“ situation from the income side of both parties. If the woman has a higher income than the man, it is likely more appropriate for her to pay for the date. But if a man earns more, why shouldn’t he treat a lady to a cup of coffee or dinner at a restaurant?
Usually, questions about a partner’s job are asked at the beginning of dating, so by the first meeting in a cafe or restaurant, it should be decided who can afford to pay for his partner.
Beginning Of The Relations
As a matter of fact, on the 1st or 2nd date nobody owes anything to each other. In fact, you are no more than strangers to each other. And thoughts like who should pay for dates in a relationship can be safely discarded.
If you absolutely do not want to pay, it is quite possible to walk in the park, in quiet streets and so on when the weather allows. One or two walks are enough to decide whether you want to continue the relationship with this person or not. What if the weather is not very good or there is another reason not to walk, but to sit somewhere? Then you have to invite her somewhere.
Actually, if you invite her, you have to pay. But at the beginning of your relations, it is better not to spend more than you don’t mind giving to a complete stranger. Determine for yourself the amount of money that you do not mind losing and that you will not regret, if the relationship does not start.
Why Should A Man Pay For A Woman?
A man should pay for a woman but not because a lady needs to be fed to give him something intimate in return. It’s just a gesture. It means that a man is able to take responsibility and can be a caring defender. After all, in a situation when a man treats, a woman gets a rare opportunity to feel weak and protected.
Let’s be honest, it is not a matter of eating two hundred grams of stew, which she can cook at home. Alas, money issues are increasingly interfering in the sphere of relations. Men complain that women are interested only in money, while women are outraged that men are stingy to buy even a single rose.
All together this leads to insincerity in love. And sometimes there are even absurd situations when men are not ready to pay not only for the lady, but also for themselves. Apparently, some believe that the very company of them is such a huge gift for a lady that she should pay for this pleasure with the restaurant bill.
What If A Woman Offers To Pay For Herself?
After these thoughts in your head will begin to doubt, like who should pay on the date, maybe I should pay after all, isn’t that how it’s socially accepted?
It’s up to you. If the amount is insignificant to you, then give up her share. If it’s significant, why didn’t you follow my advice not to spend more than you’re sorry to give without a refund?
Though, such behavior of a woman gives her a credit. Woman paying for a date does not want to owe you. In this case, you can say with a friendly smile: “It is no need! Next time you can invite me”. At the same time, you do not look like a stingy man, and you do not leave a woman in debt. Also you show that you want to continue the relationship. Most often women perceive it well.
Although, paying for a date is extremely important for some women. And what is even more interesting, there are two categories of women. First one thinks that a woman should never pay for a date, letting a man to be a caring gentleman. In the worst case, they may be just checking the financial status of a man or they simply want to go out to a fancy place for free. That is rather unpleasant for a man.
A woman of the second category thinks that if she pays for herself then she can feel free. She may order what she wants and leave whenever she wants. These ladies believe that money give them freedom. And you have to respect their choice.
But still there are general rules of paying for dates etiquette. The basic one is:
- Whoever asks for the date should pay the bill. If you initiate the date, you should pay for it. If the girl invited you, she should understand that she should also pay.
Should A Woman Pay For A Date When She Asks A Man Out?
Luckily we are not in a cave time. In most of the countries men and women have equal rights and opportunities. At the same time some men prefer to stick to traditional dating. So when should a woman pay for a date, especially if it was her initiative?
- If she invites you to a cafe or a restaurant on her birthday, she may pay the bill as a birthday treat. But don’t forget to bring her a birthday gift! It will be a proper behavior of her because she invited you on this special occasion.
- Let’s consider the situation when the girl took an initiative to invite you to movies. So, she can buy tickets. If you feel awkward about that, you can bring her flowers or simply arrange some snacks like popcorn and coke.
- If during the meal, she ordered much more than you did, she should pay her part of the bill because it was significantly larger than yours. And the idea of should a girl pay for half the date is totally appropriate. It is just a matter of good manners. You can accept it or refuse. Your choice will depend on your upbringing and thoughts.
- Imagine a situation where a girl invites you for a walk in the park and offers to drink coffee or eat ice cream. You can look at this situation from different angles. Of course, for the sake of decorum, showing your gentlemanly qualities, you can pay the bill for the lady, but it all depends on your relationship. Well, on the other hand, if the girl was the initiator, and you agreed, then why not split the bill in half?
When you are in serious relations, it does not matter who pays for what, especially if you have your common budget. You plan together where you want to go or how much to spend. That is okay.
When you are in a good long-term relationship, definitely both the girl and you can let you pay for each other. After all, you trust each other.
And as mentioned above, if you are very close, perhaps married. Then the question of “who should pay on the date“ is irrelevant.
To sum the things up, I must say the financial issue is quite hard, but if you approach it wisely, you will have no problems with girls.
When Should A Woman Pay For A Date?
The question of “why should the girl pay for the date“ is still relevant among men. Let’s throw away all the stereotypes.
There are several cases when a woman may start paying for dates.
- She really wants this. Yes, there are some girls that insist on paying for a date. There are different reasons, starting from personal beliefs and ending with the family traditions.
- She invites you. There can be some holiday or celebration and she badly wants you to be there. In this case there is no question “should a girl pay for dates?”
- Serious Relationship. When you are serious in your intentions there is no difference who pays on a date. So, if there is a question “When should a woman start paying for dates?” The answer will be – whenever she wants, but certainly when budget is common.
- Should a woman offer to pay on a date? Probably yes, if she wants to show her independent and strong side and that she can take care of herself or show that she has a good income.
- If she wants to help a man with the bill. When a girl genuinely loves a man, she may offer to pay for him because of it. This is what happens because of sincere sympathy. But the man should never take advantage of it.
Ultimately, it is best to have an honest conversation about “who should pay for the date”. Each person should be clear about what they can afford and willing to do. This can help the couple come to an agreement that works for both of them.
Conclusion: Should A Woman Pay For A Date?
In conclusion, it is ultimately up to the individuals involved in the date to decide who should pay. In a traditional sense, it is often seen as the man paying for the date, but this is not always the case. Ultimately, it is important to consider the dynamics between the two people and the financial situation of each individual. Taking all of this into consideration, both individuals should be able to reach a mutually beneficial agreement that works best for them.
But remember one simple trick. The best way is to use the rule – the one who invited the date, and pays for it.
Already in serious relationship? Check our tips about: How To Make A Girl Feel Special? All About How To Win A Lady’s Heart